Some Western Australian History & Some Family History & Some More
Melon Hill and Flyash Hill - Swanbourne
There are two small hills in Allen Park, Swanbourne that are known locally as Melon Hill and Flyash Hill. It seems that neither of these names is official and information is being gathered to prepare a submission to seek to have these names recognised.
Flyash HillThe Wikipedia definition of fly-ash is: "Flyash (also known as a coal combustion product [CCP]) is the finely divided mineral residue resulting from the combustion of powdered coal in electric generating plants. Fly ash consists of inorganic, incombustible matter present in the coal that has been fused during combustion into a glassy, amorphous structure. Coal can range in ash content from 2%-30%, and of this around 85% becomes fly ash. (The remaining 15% is called bottom ash and isn't lifted up by the flue gases.)" See the Wikipedia website fly ash entry for details
Melon HillMelon Hill has a plaque at the top briefly outlining its history as a WW2 battery.
The plaque on Melon Hill reads:
SWANBOURNE BATTERY (1936-1964)
|This cairn commemorates the efforts of army coastal artillery and the vital role coastal batteries played in defending Australia's coastline from naval attacks. This site marks the location of a battery observation post built and operated on Melon Hill from 1938-1963. The post was used to support army coastal defences. Located 500 metres to the north, within the present day Campbell Barracks Swanbourne battery, was developed and operated by 6 Heavy Battery, Royal Australian Artillery, and formed the northern part of Perth's coastal defence system throughout World War II. The battery consisted of two six inch BL wire MK.VII guns as depicted on mounting central pivot MK.II and had a maximum range of 12800 metres. The battery was never used in action and the facility was scrapped along with most of Perth's coastal defences in 1963 (RK Glyde)|
Additional Information Sought|
If you have any comment; or information on the origin of the names of either of these hills or of their history please contact John